Lead

Senate to deliberate on Trump’s genocide allegations against Nigeria

The Nigerian Senate has announced plans to hold a formal debate on recent comments made by former U.S. President Donald Trump, who accused the Nigerian government of allowing what he described as a “genocide” against Christians.
During Tuesday’s plenary, Senate President Godswill Akpabio said the upper chamber would deliberate on the matter once the Federal Government issues an official response.
Senate Akpabio emphasised that the issue was diplomatically sensitive and required caution in handling.
“Who am I to respond to President Trump?” Akpabio remarked, clarifying that he had made no comments regarding Trump’s allegations.
The Senate President also disclosed that he had petitioned both the Nigeria Police Force and the Department of State Services (DSS) to investigate and prosecute the blogger who falsely attributed a reaction to him.
Akpabio said legal action had already been initiated against the individual.
He further cautioned Nigerians, especially media practitioners, to avoid spreading misinformation that could inflame public sentiment or undermine national cohesion.
“We must exercise restraint in our discussions. Nigeria’s challenges should be viewed from all perspectives, what we need now is peace,” he said.
Akpabio also directed the Cybercrime Unit to track and prosecute those circulating false reports about the Senate and its leadership.
Deputy Senate President, Senator Jibrin, in a brief interjection, questioned whether the Senate President was “afraid of Trump,” stressing that Nigeria remains a sovereign nation that should not be intimidated by external statements.
“Nigeria is a sovereign country. We cannot be threatened by any foreign power, no matter how influential”, Senator Barau said.
The Senate’s planned debate followed a series of provocative statements by Trump, who over the weekend threatened possible U.S. military operations in Nigeria.
In a post on his Truth Social platform on Saturday, Trump claimed to have instructed the Pentagon to map out potential military options.
He accused the Nigerian government of failing to protect Christians and said Christianity faced “an existential threat” in Africa’s most populous country.
“If Nigeria does not stop the killings, the United States will act and it will be fast, vicious, and sweet, just like the terrorists attack our cherished Christians,” Trump wrote.
Speaking aboard Air Force One on Sunday, Trump doubled down on the warning, telling reporters that “military action in Nigeria could be on the table.”
When asked whether such an operation would involve airstrikes or ground troops, he responded, “Could be — I envisage a lot of things.”
The remarks have triggered widespread concern in diplomatic and political circles across Africa and beyond.
Responding to the controversy, presidential spokesperson Daniel Bwala told AFP that Nigeria remained a strong U.S. ally in the global fight against terrorism, but stressed that any partnership must respect Nigeria’s sovereignty.
“Nigeria welcomes U.S. support in the fight against terrorism, but such cooperation must not violate our territorial integrity,” Bwala said.
He added that President Bola Tinubu and Trump may soon hold direct talks to clarify differences over security and interreligious relations.
Tinubu has repeatedly rejected claims of Christian persecution, insisting that Nigeria’s diversity remains one of its greatest strengths.
“The characterization of Nigeria as religiously intolerant does not reflect our national reality,” the President said in a recent statement.
The controversy continued to dominate discussions in both local and international media, with analysts warning that Trump’s remarks could strain diplomatic relations if not carefully managed.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button