Guinea-Bissau Coup: Jonathan explains return to Nigeria on Ivorian Aircraft

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has expressed gratitude to Nigerians and West African leaders following his safe evacuation from Guinea-Bissau after a sudden military takeover disrupted the country’s political climate earlier in the week.
Speaking to journalists in Abuja on Friday, Jonathan said he felt compelled to personally address the public because of the widespread concern that followed reports of a coup attempt in the West African nation, where he had been serving as head of the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission.
Jonathan said he was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from citizens across Nigeria when news broke that political instability had erupted in Bissau.
He described the period as tense, noting that reports reaching him indicated that Nigerians of all backgrounds were anxious about his safety.
“I wanted to speak directly to Nigerians to acknowledge their concern.
“It was touching to learn that people young and old were united in worrying about what happened in Bissau.”
The former president also clarified why an aircraft from Côte d’Ivoire was used to evacuate him and his delegation, amid questions raised by the public after images of his arrival surfaced online.
Jonathan explained that both President Bola Tinubu and Ivorian President Alassane Ouattara had dispatched aircraft to retrieve him, but the Ivorian team obtained landing clearance earlier due to regional proximity and diplomatic channels that francophone countries often share.
He said the Ivorian aircraft was already en route before Nigeria’s clearance came through, prompting him to advise Nigerian authorities not to proceed with a second deployment.
“That is the simple reason I returned on an Ivorian plane,” he said.
“We appreciate the efforts of both presidents who stepped in promptly to ensure our safety.”
The latest turmoil began only days after the country conducted a closely watched presidential and legislative poll on November 23. Jonathan’s delegation had assessed the voting process as peaceful before tensions spiked.
Confusion erupted when security forces exchanged gunfire near major government buildings in Bissau on November 26, creating panic across the capital.
Shortly after, President Umaro Sissoco Mbalo told international media that he had been removed from office, though he insisted that no force had been used against him.
Military officers later appeared on national television announcing that they had taken control under the name the “High Military Command for the Restoration of National Security and Public Order.”
They dissolved national institutions and assumed authority over the state.
The abrupt turn of events placed Jonathan and other observers in a security dilemma, prompting urgent intervention from regional leaders to facilitate their evacuation.
Jonathan and members of his mission team arrived safely in Abuja on Thursday, ending a 48-hour period of uncertainty that drew global attention.
He thanked governments across the subregion for their cooperation and assured Nigerians that he remained committed to supporting democracy and stability in West Africa.



