Metro

Lagos police launch 24-hour patrols to secure coastal road

In a bid to strengthen security along one of the city’s busiest corridors, the Lagos State Police Command has inaugurated 24-hour anti-crime patrols along the newly constructed coastal road.

The initiative is aimed at safeguarding commuters, road users, and construction activities along the route.

The announcement was made on Thursday by the Commissioner of Police, Olohundare Jimoh, during a show of force along the road.

He explained that the patrols are designed to prevent criminal activities, including theft, vandalism of construction equipment, and other offences that could compromise safety.

According to Jimoh, when the road opened in December 2025, the police deployed 50 patrol teams, each consisting of five officers.

These teams were strategically positioned at intersections, high-risk “black spots,” and other vulnerable areas along the corridor.

“Since the initial deployment, there have been no reported cases of snatching, kidnapping, or robbery in the area, thanks to the strong police presence,” the commissioner said.

To further strengthen security, four mobile patrol teams have now been introduced to operate around the clock.

These units would fill the gaps between fixed posts, monitor areas prone to vandalism, and conduct discreet investigations to apprehend offenders.

They would also ensure that critical infrastructure—such as road lighting, barriers, and fencing—remains intact and functional.

The patrols are supported by the Lagos State Government through the State Security Trust Fund, in collaboration with the Federal Minister of Works, David Umahi.

The initiative would also extend to adjoining high-risk areas, including Kuramo Junction and the Ajah–Lekki corridor.

“Commuters, residents, and businesses along the coastal road should feel confident about their safety.

“This measure complements existing security arrangements and reinforces Lagos as a safe and secure city, ” he said.

The police assured continuous supervision of the patrols to ensure rapid response to any threat, enhancing safety for both residents and infrastructure along the corridor.

Also commenting on the initiative, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olufemi Dare, praised the police for their prompt response.

He highlighted that the additional patrol vehicles would curb the activities of vandals who have previously targeted manhole covers, steel directional signs, and fencing along the road.

“On behalf of the Minister of Works, we thank the commissioner of police for this intervention.

”We are confident that these patrol teams will significantly reduce vandalism along the coastal road,” Dare stated.

 

 

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button