Metro

Senator Chris Ngige survives gunmen attack on convoy in Anambra

Former Anambra State governor, Senator Chris Ngige, has recounted a harrowing encounter when gunmen attacked his convoy on Wednesday, resulting in the death of a woman and injuries to his security personnel.

The ex-Minister of Labour and Employment shared his account with journalists during a visit by 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, who came to commiserate with him over the incident at his country home in Alor, Idemili South Local Government Area.

Ngige explained that he had been in Anambra since Saturday and had sent his aides on errands, including taking one of his vehicles for maintenance.

It was on their return that the attackers struck, killing a woman and injuring his police orderly, who sustained a leg wound and had his rifle and uniform seized.

Dispelling rumors of his death, Ngige said: “As you can see, I’m alive, I’m not dead, so there should be no panic or fear.

”They attacked my convoy around Umuoji when they saw some vehicles racing towards them, later reversed, chased them, and began shooting.

”They were dressed in police and army uniforms, and my convoy driver managed to evade them until they caught up with my police security men, who battled with them until their ammunition was exhausted.

”They took away rifles and uniforms.”

Ngige described the gunmen’s actions as part of a broader pattern, noting their claims that the police were serving a “zoo government.”

He warned of potential unrest if the perpetrators are not tracked down, particularly with the Christmas season approaching.

“They need to be tracked down because it is a gang with a modus operandi of operating in police uniforms,” he said.

On whether the attack was specifically targeted at him, Ngige suggested both possibilities.

He noted that his long-serving driver of 22 years is well known, which may have signaled the convoy’s identity to the attackers.

“On one hand, they may have known it was my convoy.

On the other hand, they may have just seen a convoy with police men and decided to attack. Anyone targeting me is wasting his time,” he added.

Ngige also commented on the attackers’ references to the “zoo government” and the recent incarceration of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu.

As a medical doctor, he suggested that Kanu’s case might require a political rather than purely legal solution, citing what he described as psychiatric concerns in the detained leader.

During the visit, Peter Obi expressed relief that Ngige survived and extended condolences to the family of the woman who lost her life while filming the incident.

 

 

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button