ICPC searches El-Rufai Abuja home …Operatives arrive hours after confirming custody

Officials of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on Thursday searched the Abuja residence of former Kaduna governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
The operation was confirmed by his media adviser, Muyiwa Adekeye.
According to the statement, operatives arrived at about 2 p.m. and began a thorough search of the property.
No immediate details were provided on items recovered during the exercise.
El-Rufai’s lawyer, Ubong Akpan, described the search as unlawful.
He alleged that due process was not followed and said the action violated his client’s fundamental rights.
The anti-corruption agency had earlier confirmed that the former governor was in its custody.
In a statement on Wednesday, the commission said he was being held over ongoing investigations.
Its spokesperson, John Odey, did not disclose the nature of the probe.
The development followed recent engagements between El-Rufai and security agencies.
Last week, he acknowledged receiving an invitation from the ICPC.
He had also visited the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over alleged financial improprieties during his tenure from 2015 to 2023.
Reports emerged that security operatives attempted to arrest him upon his return from Cairo.
El-Rufai later alleged that the phone of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, was wiretapped.
He claimed the interception enabled him to obtain information about plans for his arrest.
Subsequently, the Department of State Services filed a three-count charge against him.
Prosecutors said the alleged offence contravened provisions of the Cybercrimes (Amendment) Act, 2024.
The unfolding developments have intensified political and legal scrutiny around the former governor.



