Metro

EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Saleh Mamman following his recent conviction and sentencing over alleged financial misconduct during his tenure in office.

Mamman, who was earlier convicted by the Federal High Court in Abuja, was linked to a N33.8 billion money laundering case tied to power infrastructure projects, including the Mambilla and Zungeru hydroelectric schemes.

EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, confirmed that the former minister was arrested at about 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday in Kano after weeks of surveillance operations.

According to him, the commission initially filed charges in January 2025 over alleged diversion of funds meant for key national power projects.

He said: “we filed charges against the ex-minister of power for allegedly converting over N33 billion meant for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects.”

Olukoyede explained that the case eventually led to convictions on all 12 counts after about 14 to 15 months of legal proceedings.

He stated that sentencing was delayed because the defendant was not present in court at earlier proceedings, leading to his conviction in absentia.

“We secured convictions on all 12 counts. Because the defendant was not present, sentencing was shifted,” he said.

The EFCC boss further disclosed that Mamman was eventually sentenced on May 13 while still at large.

“We decided to open intelligence surveillance nationwide. At about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman in Kano,” he added.

Two other individuals were also arrested alongside the former minister for allegedly shielding him from arrest.
“We discovered he was being protected all this while,” Olukoyede said.

The EFCC also stated that the property where Mamman was arrested will be investigated as part of ongoing inquiries.

Olukoyede described the arrest as evidence of the government’s continued anti-corruption drive, insisting that no offender would escape justice.

“It is a testament to the commitment of the Federal Government in the fight against corruption,” he said.

He added: “Anyone who has taken government resources will not go unpunished. The EFCC will always catch up with offenders wherever they are hiding.”

The Federal High Court in Abuja had earlier convicted Mamman on all 12 counts brought against him by the EFCC.

Justice James Omotosho sentenced him to a total of 75 years’ imprisonment in absentia on May 13 over offences linked to the N33.8 billion fraud case.

The court held that Mamman’s failure to appear for sentencing was a deliberate attempt to obstruct justice.

He was handed seven years’ imprisonment on 10 counts without an option of fine.

He also received three years on one count with an option of N10 million fine, while another count carried two years without an option of fine.

The judge ordered that all sentences should run consecutively, bringing the total to 75 years.

The court further directed security agencies to work with Interpol to ensure his arrest and prosecution.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button