Obi calls for strong action on school security

Presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Mr Peter Obi, has urged the Federal Government to take decisive steps to address terrorism and improve security in schools and communities across the country.
Obi made the call on Thursday during a visit to Practising Nursery and Primary School, Agulu, Anambra State, where he donated a cheque for the reconstruction of a section of the school destroyed by a mysterious fire in December 2024.
He also presented N10 million as initial support for the rebuilding project, reiterating his commitment to improving educational infrastructure and learning conditions in Nigeria, which he described as essential to national development.
According to him, stronger political will and firm leadership are required to effectively confront insecurity affecting schools and wider society.
“I tell you, we do not only need to secure our schools from insecurity but also the society. And how we can do this is by being decisive,” Obi said.
“I have been in government before and we knew what we did to ensure safety in Anambra. It needs decisiveness and will power of the people in government for us to defeat them,” he added.
Responding to concerns about recent attacks on schools, including kidnappings of pupils and teachers and the killing of a teacher in Oyo State, Obi stressed that only determined and focused leadership can address the rising threats.
He reiterated that government must act urgently to safeguard educational institutions and communities from terrorist activities.
During the visit, Obi recalled that he had previously visited the school and promised to assist in its rebuilding.
He said the donation was part of fulfilling that promise and ensuring a safer and more conducive learning environment for pupils.



