Sowore declares 2027 presidential ambition

Human rights activist and former African Action Congress presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, has confirmed that he will contest in the 2027 presidential election.
Sowore made the declaration on Friday during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today, where he revealed that preparations for the party’s primary election were already in progress.
Responding to questions about his political future, he answered directly, saying, “Yes. We have our party primaries next week.”
Although he confirmed his interest in the race, Sowore refused to present himself as the party’s automatic candidate ahead of the primaries.
“Well, let the party decide who their candidates are,” he stated.
The former presidential candidate also spoke on the Independent National Electoral Commission’s digital registration process for political parties.
According to him, the African Action Congress had not completed its submission before the recent court ruling affecting the process.
“We haven’t finally submitted, and that’s what this court judgment says. So if you have submitted now, the court says you can reopen your portal and start again.
But we never stopped anyway,” he said.
During the interview, Sowore defended his political ideology and argued that Nigerians should begin to consider leaders outside the country’s traditional political class.
When asked why Nigerians should choose him ahead of President Bola Tinubu, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Labour Party’s Peter Obi, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, and former Rivers State governor Rotimi Amaechi, Sowore said the current political elite had failed the country.
“Because all of the ideas of the people you mentioned brought Nigeria into this cycle of poverty, insecurity, pain, sorrow, and tears,” he said.
He further questioned the continued dominance of established politicians in the country’s leadership structure.
“Do you want Nigeria to continue to get these same people elected or selected, whichever way they get themselves into office, so that they can suffer more, so that those of us who have ideas that can liberate this country will not be listened to?” he asked.
Sowore insisted that his presidential ambition is not symbolic but aimed at winning power and changing the country’s direction.
“Yes,” he responded when asked if he truly believed he could win the election..
“And it is because, as I’ve said several times, all the political parties are equal, and the better candidates should be able to win elections in this country, people with ideas.”
He also maintained that Nigeria’s present challenges make the next election more critical than previous ones.
“It’s different because these are different times also. Times are harder. Nigeria is in bigger trouble,” he added.
Sowore previously contested for president under the African Action Congress platform in both the 2019 and 2023 general elections.
Over the years, he has consistently presented himself as an alternative to Nigeria’s mainstream political parties while criticising both the ruling and opposition blocs over worsening economic hardship and insecurity.
The 2027 general election is expected to begin with the presidential and National Assembly elections scheduled for January 16, 2027, while governorship and State House of Assembly elections are expected to hold on February 6, 2027.



